Monday, June 6, 2011

Intro

It occurred to me last night that in a few months I will have been working (or attempting to) for a decade. As an eager and apparently naive 14 year old, I managed to talk my way into a job at a criminal defense firm. Proud of my strong start out of the employment gate, I often caught myself day dreaming of my inevitable corner office with a view. Ten years later however, my college degree is not worth as much as I thought, in fact it is costing me thousands in student loans. To add insult to interest-ridden injury, my actual college degree is somewhere in Egypt complete with a red ink ministry stamp. This stamp could in fact be worth more than the degree itself considering the government that awarded it has now been ousted and put on trial. As with most tales I have told since graduation in 2009, I am not sure whether to appreciate the humor or the tragedy. Despite the absence of gainful employment after what I would call a successful college career (I graduated magna cum laude but my twin sister graduated suma cum laude - my family still periodically reminds me of this), I am determined to stick to my career aspirations and put in my two cents, even if that is really all I can afford. From here on out I will be commenting on global issues through the intriguing, at times unforgiving lens of U.S. security interests. With any luck (and a Master's degree) I will find myself working in the field of security policy. For now however, I will stick to the couch, put on my best set of p.j.s and start writing about what the country can do to make us safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment