Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Common Denominator

I was waiting in the Bahrain airport. I had nestled into an uncomfortable chair beneath what were tauntingly bright florescent lights, at least they seemed that way after we failed to talk our way into the executive lounge. I commenced what I do best at airports (besides complain) and began to people watch. One image stuck in my mind. A woman, fully covered (burka, veil, and gloves) was pushing a luggage cart while her two kids ran along beside her. What struck me most was not her clothing or the fact that she and I live by starkly different religious and social customs, but how similar the scene looked to any mother pushing a cart while trying to keep track of her kids. That image, that scenario was almost universal. My point is not that luggage carts are useful. My point is that despite all our differences, people are pursuing the same basic goals - take care of and support their families.

The value of work is something I have been thinking a lot about recently. Lack of job opportunities was one of the factors driving the Egyptian revolution. Having struggled with finding proper employment since graduation, I can emphasize with the frustration. These thoughts were turning over in my mind during my new-hire orientation at the zoo (yes folks, it's happening.) Part of me dreaded my first day. I certainly did not expect to be 23 and earning less than I was at 14. At the same time, one hundred people applied for my spot, I was lucky to get it. The Oregon Zoo will be sponsoring part of my graduate school experience, and for this I am extremely grateful. On an even more basic level, I am finding the psychological difference between being unemployed and having a job, any job, is immense.

I hate being unemployed. I would never wish it on anyone. But it's been said before, our greatest enemies are our greatest teachers. Unemployment has taught me some humility, yes, but more than that it has taught me that there is dignity in work, any work. I may have won this battle, but the war between me and unemployment is hardly over. I just hope the next time we see headlines that divide people in some way, "Muslim extremists" vs. "freedom-loving Americans," was one that I heard recently, we remember that no matter the religion or the continent, we are all trying to do our best to make a decent, honest living for ourselves and for our families. Remembering this common denominator will do more for our national security than any arsenal of missiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment