Monday, July 18, 2011

Money Talks

I know a thing or two about living outside my means, and it seems that others do as well. Greece, Great Britain, even Egypt are all dealing with balancing spending on public welfare systems and depleting bank accounts (i.e.rising deficits). Open up Newsweek, you'll find an interesting op-ed that argues "indignants" who protest against government action to correct spending deficits are misguided, hard work and sacrifices for the future must be made now at the expense of the present. Tragic but true the article argues. New York Times' Week in Review has a spread on the death of the consumer economy. And of course my favorite, the ever-popular more-college-graduates-are-living-with-their-parents article. Democrats want to write bounced checks, Republicans want to throw the check book out the window. No matter your spot on the party line, it is clear that our government's split economic perspective is unsustainable.

I normally shy away from numbers, despite my father insisting that "numbers are your friends." I am attracted to this crisis of economics however because at the root is the most definitive debate of American politics: the role of government. Every debate (occasionally heated) I have had with someone to the left or right of me on the political spectrum has derived from disagreement over definitions of government responsibilities. My conservative friends maintain that a government's main if not sole priority is defense. The rest is up to the free market. I on the other hand, believe that providing fundamental services such as access to health care and education is a central role of government.

There is vast disagreement on what government should do, so it is not surprising that there is vast disagreement on how to pay for what it does. If we can't agree on what to buy, how can we agree on which credit card to use? Okay second question: even if we did agree on what the government should provide, what happens when we realize the government can no longer afford to provide these services? If you ask me (and sadly no one is), we need to get very clear on what the country really needs, politics aside. People need jobs, they need insurance (or free market health care prices), they need nutritional food, and access to education. Now if the government is no longer able to provide these, due to finances or efficacy or both, then the private sector needs to close the gaps.

What is lacking is intention. Public schools are quite literally falling apart. But where is the free market alternative? More and more you see places like ZoomCare popping up, providing an affordable alternative to those seeking medical attention without health insurance. I recently wrote a paper discussing an end to poverty. I pride myself in the catchy slogan, but I believe it's true; need must meet business and more than ever business must meet need.

I haven't lost faith in government, I believe it can be a champion for its people, protecting freedom while at the same time providing a safety net of humanity. But I will admit I'm tired of reading about the wells of resources drying out with no rain in sight. Let's get our priorities straight and when we do let's make sure our purchases are investments in the future and not stop-gaps for the past. Just as I accumulate more debt with the hope of a greater payout on the other side, let's make sure our spending pays off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment