Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde fundraise

Yes, there has been a bit of radio silence on my part this past week, but fear not I have been contemplating. I've been thinking a lot about Israel, and the reactions that word evokes. I am in the middle of a fund raising campaign you see. Asking for money is tricky, but even more so when that money benefits a country steeped in controversy. For the most part, the American adults I know are strongly supportive of my ventures and are fans of Israel. Some of my younger compatriots however, view the country with disdain and have even claimed they would rather try to get into Libya than cross borders controlled by the IDF.

I see both sides. On the one hand, Israel is seen as a violent occupier, defying international law, snubbing Washington, and perpetuating humanitarian crises. On the other, Israel is a vibrant, democratic state full of culture and knowledge, just trying to defend itself enough to survive. I am going to keep my true opinions on the country quiet for the moment. Regardless, it has been an interesting process navigating my way into a brewing storm because politics aside, this country will (hopefully) provide me with a Master's degree.

I set out on an e-venture (ha an online adventure) yesterday, looking for varying opinions among Israelis and American Jews about current affairs in Israel. I found them. There is a lot of dissent among the people as to how the government is running both domestic and international politics, but there was one constant: all of the articles were written from the perspective of a strong Jewish identity. As Jews how should we react to the Arab Spring, should we let the government influence food prices, where is the balance between religious and civil law? This strong sense of identity has strengthened the Jewish people and have helped them survive. At the same time, it has led I fear to an equally strong sense of Us vs. Them. After a certain point this can only lead to losing sight of the humanity in the Other. This benefits no one and is tragic to watch.

Luckily, the proceeds raised from my fundraising campaign will go to planting trees in Israel. So even if the land is disputed I think both sides can agree that they want trees there. And hopefully both sides will want me there too.

If you are interested in donating you may do so with my gratitude here: http://support.jnf.org/site/TR?px=3103052&pg=personal&fr_id=1010

No comments:

Post a Comment